Whether developing office parks, crafting master and individual lease forms or negotiating lease terms for corporate headquarters or securing governmental incentives for both office park developers and their tenants, our attorneys understand the unique dynamics of office space.
Our Real Estate attorneys advise landlords in developing and leasing Class “A” office buildings in urban and suburban areas, medical office buildings, administrative buildings, built-to-suit ground-up offices, and corporate headquarter buildings. We also sit on the other side of the table, advocating for anchor and credit tenants in lease negotiations, obtaining optimal market terms and guiding our clients through tenant allowance negotiation and build-out.
We also provide specialized services for industry-specific office space. Polsinelli’s attorneys guide landlords through regulatory issues related to health care, such as the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute compliance, life and safety code issues, and proper allocation of operating expenses for medical tenants who are high water and electrical users. We have the expertise to construct office association regimes or use restrictions geared to your targeted industry, such as technology, research, medical or business parks. If a client is developing a sustainable or green building, we have attorneys who are LEED certificated by the U.S. Green Building Council, ready to walk them through the process of obtaining their building’s certification and creating lease documents that implement control measures to ensure certification standards are maintained.
- Sprint Corporation Headquarters. Represented owner in development of its $1 billion world headquarters campus located in Overland Park, Kansas.
- Diamond Tower. Represented developer in acquisition, demolition, development, construction, financing and leasing of an assemblage of properties located in the Diamond District of Manhattan, New York intended to serve as a “global diamond exchange facility.”
- Enron Headquarters Building. Submitted the winning bid of approximately $100 million in a bankruptcy proceeding for the former Enron Corporate Headquarters Building in Houston, Texas. Also represented the investor organization in mezzanine financing and leasing.
- Chicago Insurance Exchange Building. Converted a 1.5 million-square-foot historic, downtown Chicago building to Class “A” office space with a completed value estimated in excess of $300 million. Legal services included acquisition, financing (construction, mezzanine and permanent) and leasing.
- Bannister Mall Redevelopment. Assisted client with $42.5 million sale of 250+/- acres of property to Cerner Corporation, which will develop a 4 million square foot office campus for 15,000+ new jobs in Kansas City, Missouri. Negotiated all contracts, due diligence, environmental indemnities, carry back obligations, condemnation work, lease buy-outs, sale of State tax credits, and a negotiation and closing of a $10 million closing fund from the State of Missouri.
- Lockton Inc. Assisted client in obtaining state and local employment incentives as part of a lease renewal and renovation and expansion of Lockton's World Headquarters.
- Teva Neuroscience. Assisted client in obtaining state and local incentives for the construction of a $50 million +/- 165,000-square-foot headquarters project in Overland Park, Kansas.
- Anchor Tenant in Transit-Oriented Development in Denver. Represented a national insurance company as the anchor tenant of newly constructed five-story building adjacent to Union Station and the downtown light rail hub for use as its new corporate headquarters.
- Kansas City Power and Light Inc. Headquarters. Represented KCP&L in leasing of a 270,000-square-foot office space for its world headquarters at One Kansas City Place, Kansas City, Missouri. The leased space is designed to meet at least “Silver” standards of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) as determined by the U.S. Green Building Council.
- International Retailer Headquarters and Office Park. Represented a Fortune 500 international retail corporation in all aspects of the relocation and development of its two-million-square-foot headquarters and the development of an 800-acre business park.
- Office and Cell Tower Leases. Represented a subsidiary of an international aloe vera products company in a variety of leasing issues at its corporate headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona, including negotiating new leases for office space, telecommunication leases, amendments to existing leases and a cellular tower lease.
- Aerospace Headquarters and Warehouse Distribution Facility. Represented a large aerospace company in the lease of new office corporate headquarters and a warehouse-distribution facility in Missouri.
- Hospital System Headquarters. Represented a national association of Catholic hospitals in the negotiation of the lease for its national headquarters.
- Hanna Land Acquisition. Closed $19.5 million in bridge and permanent financing and closed $6 milion in investor capital for Hanna Land Acquisitions in Kansas City, Missouri in connection with the renovation of an historic office building in downtown Kansas City.
- Public Corporation Land Assembly for Corporate Headquarters. Represented a major public corporation in assembling multiple parcels of property for development of a corporate headquarters campus, including related parking and retail, in St. Louis County, Missouri.