Starting and growing a business is an exciting endeavor, but one that presents unique challenges. Our lawyers are passionate about helping entrepreneurs realize their dreams and reinvent industries. We provide more than legal advice; we have experience, knowledge, and a network to help bring our clients' new businesses to life or take their existing businesses to the next level. Startup and emerging growth companies of all stages of growth have benefited from our experience, including:
Initial formation and capital structure.
Choosing a business structure (corporation, limited liability company, sole proprietorship) is one of the first, and often most important, decisions an entrepreneur will make. It affects many aspects of a business, including taxation, ownership and control issues, growth strategy, and liability protection. Our lawyers work with entrepreneurs to determine the business structure that is right for their business.
Polsinelli attorneys work with clients to create comprehensive and tailored licensing strategies that protect their intellectual property rights. We have extensive experience managing and negotiating inbound and outbound licensing relationships in many various fields, including intellectual property, product supply, distribution, co-development, software, and services.
Financing and Strategic Partnership.
One of the greatest challenges facing startups and emerging growth companies is the need for capital. We regularly work with our clients to provide advice about the funding process and avoiding common financing obstacles. We’re actively involved in the startup community, and have relationships with many angel and venture fund investors, financial institutions, and leading industry organizations. Through these relationships and others, our clients benefit from our vast network of potential financing sources and strategic partnerships.
Additionally, our practice provides advice and guidance in the following areas:
- Strategic advice and business plan review
- Intellectual property development, protection, and strategies
- Business growth and exit planning strategy
- Seed, angel, and venture capital financing
- Public and private securities offerings
- Tax credits and planning strategies
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Collaboration and development agreements
- Data privacy and information security
- Employment issues and equity incentive programs
- Sales and distribution arrangements
- Manufacturing agreements
- Research and development agreements
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances