Highwoods Properties today unveiled a revised conceptual rendering of the proposed eight-story national headquarters building for long-time Kansas City law firm Polsinelli Shughart.
“We are pleased to share a revised conceptual design for the Polsinelli Shughart headquarters building,” said Glenn Stephenson, vice president of Highwoods Properties’ Kansas City Division. “We listened to the concerns of our community, the patrons of the Plaza and City officials and have incorporated many suggestions into this revised design. It is our intention to substantially preserve the Balcony Building and streetscape, while allowing for a new, efficient and environmentally-responsible building on the site. While there is still much work to be done, including continuing to study the design of the streetscape from a structural standpoint to make sure all aspects of this rendering are feasible, we want to share the direction we are heading.”
Some of the changes to the streetscape and building include:
• The architectural and thematic integrity of the Balcony Building will be maintained
• The “Balcony Tower” and the two-story structure at the corner of 47th and Broadway Streets will be maintained
• Efforts will be made to try and preserve all existing trees along 47th Street
• The existing parking deck behind the Balcony Building, upon which the office building will be situated, will feature architectural precast concrete panels that will be textured with detailing that is complementary to similar buildings within the Plaza. Some of this detailing will also be incorporated into the façade of the office building
• The coloration of the materials of the parking deck and office building facades will be a warmer tone than previously conceived and will be more harmonious with the Balcony Building and the Plaza
• The building will be set back 70 feet, which is exactly where the 12-story Valencia Place building is located off the curb line
“Highwoods recognizes the importance of the Country Club Plaza not only to our community, but to the national community. As we have since 1998, we remain strongly committed to properly maintaining and significantly enhancing the Plaza and continuing to provide a unique experience for every patron that steps foot on Kansas City’s crown jewel,” added Stephenson.
“The revised rendering demonstrates Highwoods Properties' and Polsinelli Shughart's commitment to the Plaza and that we have listened to the concerns expressed by some in our community. We all want a successful integrated project and investment. We are pleased with the modifications to the design to preserve the Balcony Building and streetscape, while incorporating a new, dynamic LEED-certified headquarters building behind the shops,” said Polsinelli Shughart Chairman Russell Welsh.
About Highwoods Properties
Highwoods Properties, Inc., a member of the S&P MidCap 400 Index, is a fully integrated, self-administered real estate investment trust (“REIT”) that provides leasing, management, development, construction and other customer-related services for its properties and for third parties. At June 30, 2010, the Company owned or had an interest in 330 in-service office, industrial and retail properties encompassing approximately 32.0 million square feet. Highwoods also owned 581 acres of development land. Highwoods is based in Raleigh, North Carolina, and its properties and development land are located in Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia. For more information about Highwoods Properties, please visit our Web site at www.highwoods.com.
About Polsinelli Shughart PC
With more than 500 attorneys, Polsinelli Shughart PC (www.polsinelli.com) is a national law firm that is a recognized leader in the areas of business litigation, financial services, real estate, business law, construction, life sciences, environmental and natural resources, health care, insurance coverage/bad faith, and labor and employment. Serving corporate, institutional and individual clients regionally, nationally and worldwide, Polsinelli Shughart is known for successfully applying forward-thinking strategies for both straightforward and complex legal matters. The firm has 16 offices located in Kansas City, St. Louis, Phoenix, Chicago, Denver, Washington, D.C., New York, Wilmington, Overland Park, St. Joseph, Springfield, Jefferson City, Topeka and Edwardsville.
For info contact:
Public Relations Manager
To see the 2nd Rendering click here
To see the view from above click here