Buried in the more than 1,000 pages of the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 and the bills that it amends are some very important provisions that directly impact the U.S. life sciences industry.
Polsinelli Shughart Shareholders Kevin Sweeney and Patrick Woolley on April 1 summarized the provisions of the Health Care Act for the members of the KansasBio Organization at the group’s monthly “Hot Topics in Science” seminar. Sweeney is Chair of the firm’s Life Sciences group and Woolley Chairs the Science & Technology group. Among the provisions they reviewed:
- Qualifying Therapeutic Discovery Project Credit
- Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act
- Economic Provisions
- Expansion of 340B Medicare Coverage
- Filling the “Donut Hole” in the Part D Drug Benefit
- Medical Device Tax
- Increase in Medicaid Rebate
- Branded Drug Manufacturer Fee to Fund Health Care Reform
- Entities Established:
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
- Independent Medicare Advisory Board
- Cures Acceleration Network
for a free copy of materials summarizing these provisions.