Polsinelli is deeply committed to voluntarily providing legal services to individuals and nonprofit organizations that cannot afford representation. We accept court-appointed assignments on behalf of indigent clients in the areas of child abuse and neglect, family disputes, and some types of criminal law. We consistently assist with juvenile and children’s advocacy cases in the majority of our offices. Over the past year, 598 attorneys devoted more than 25,000 hours to pro bono work toward the firm’s overall pro bono efforts.
In recognition of the firm's commitment to the delivery of pro bono legal services, Polsinelli was one of only twenty law firms honored by the National Legal Aid and Defender Association with the 2014 Beacon of Justice Award
Polsinelli has been a sponsoring law firm of the Pro Bono Institute since 2010. The firm is also very active in each of its office’s bar and civic communities, including urban renewal programs and entrepreneurial start-ups in low income neighborhoods.
Representative pro bono matters include:
- The Children’s Law Center for Maricopa County Arizona awarded Polsinelli the law firm of the year award. Many of the Phoenix lawyers represented indigent families on a variety of matters, including adoptions, guardianships, custodial rights, and other related family law concerns. Polsinelli attorneys are heavily involved in this program that provides an avenue for individuals who cannot afford the services of an attorney to secure guardianship of a minor child, or to adopt a child due to changes in family circumstances.
- In March, 2014, several Denver attorneys worked together to file an amicus curiae brief in two same sex marriage cases in the Tenth Circuit on behalf of prominent Western Republicans who support same sex marriage. The team worked closely with GLAD and the Gill Foundation on the brief, as well at the national media team out of NY and DC. The brief received extensive press coverage.
- Through its financial investment and the investment of attorney hours, Polsinelli actively supports Legal Aid of Western Missouri. The organization provides free civil legal assistance to people who need it, however, cannot afford it.
- Through the efforts of several Polsinelli attorneys, the firm assisted the Westport Presbyterian Church in its efforts to recover and rebuild from a catastrophic fire that was deemed an accident caused by a service company worker in 2011. The firm represents churches in pro bono matters, many of which involve first party insurance recovery claims.
- Nearly $300,000 in attorney time will be provided to the building of the new Irish Arts Center in New York City. This $54 million project will sit on land donated by the city of New York City. Several Polsinelli attorneys located across the country have been heavily involved with the project, providing legal services to include real estate, tax, finance, non-profit, labor and employment, and construction. The project is being funded by donations and fundraising efforts have been significantly influenced by celebrities like Liam Neeson, Bono, Pierce Brosnan, Gabriel Byrne, and philanthropist, Loretta Brennan Glucksman.