Douglas Anning brings a unique blend of corporate mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, healthcare and tax experience to serve health care and nonprofit clients. He is vice chair of the firm's Nonprofit Organizations practice group and a member of the firm’s Health Care practice group, with a primary focus on nonprofit hospital mergers and acquisitions, nonprofit tax law, and nonprofit corporate governance.
Douglas represents nonprofit and government hospitals, health systems, universities, academic medical centers, senior living, student housing, and other related health care and nonprofit organizations in a myriad of transactional work, including:
- Hospital acquisitions and dispositions
- Nonprofit hospital change of membership transactions
- Health plan acquisitions
- Hospital-physician joint ventures
- Hospital management and lease agreements
- Hospital joint operating agreements
- Hospital conversion transactions
- Public-private partnerships including state-owned universities and schools of medicine and transactions with private nonprofit and for-profit partners
- Unique issues facing Catholic health care systems including the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Healthcare Services
Because of his extensive health care transaction experience, Douglas’ experience also extends to the complex financing structures required by such transactions and the myriad regulatory requirements attendant to the transactions.
He serves nonprofit clients including private foundations, corporate foundations, schools and universities, healthcare conversion foundations, supporting organizations, endowments, and charitable lead and remainder trusts. A sought-after subject matter expert, Douglas writes and lectures frequently on health care and nonprofit law and corporate governance, has co-authored several books, and is frequently quoted in Modern Healthcare and Bloomberg BNA Health Law Reporter. He is regularly recognized as a top attorney in his fields of health care and nonprofit law in both the Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers
and The Best Lawyers in America.®