Gerrit Steenblik utilizes his extensive knowledge to lead clients through complex real estate matters. He represents financial institutions, investors, and developers in multifaceted real estate finance and real estate development transactions.
Prior to joining the firm, Gerrit was a partner at a Phoenix law firm where he chaired the real estate department, international law practice, and recruiting committee. He is fluent in French and lived in French-speaking West Africa from 2001 to 2003.
- Supervised real estate aspects in $650 million sale of a copper mine and mill as well as a long-term lease of railroad facilities and real estate aspects of $150 million sale of LLC membership interests in company holding northern Arizona potash mining claims.
- Represented hospitals and other health care providers in the acquisition of new sites throughout Arizona, the redevelopment of hospital buildings and campuses, and the sale of existing facilities.
- Represented a lender in the enforcement of $41 million infrastructure development loan for major league baseball spring training facility and adjacent mixed-use parcels and in renegotiating and restructuring the development agreements with the municipality.
- Represented a lender in restructuring a $47 million construction loan for retail shopping center, $30 million construction loan for hotel developments, $30 million loan for development parcel, and numerous loans for mixed-use, residential, retail, and undeveloped properties.
- Represented a lender in enforcement proceedings for $100 million in loans for luxury senior living apartment projects, including negotiating third-party management agreements, the “short sale” of one project, and the subsequent sale and refinancing of the others.
- Represented a lender in reviewing, analyzing, and making recommendations regarding its $800 million loan portfolio.
- Pursuant to a Bankruptcy Court 363/365 Order, negotiated the asset purchase agreement for a homebuilder, including its office building, model homes, executory contracts, vehicles, and inventory of single-family homes, condominiums and finished lots, including over 1,000 lots in more than 20 different subdivisions.
- Represented developers in the acquisition, financing, and development of Arizona resort properties, including the original golf course, clubhouse, and condo projects at the Phoenician Resort.
- Represented buyers and sellers in various asset purchase agreements, including a private university, surgical center, golf courses, hospitals, and mining operations.
- Represented international logistics and electronics companies in leasing and subleasing office and industrial space throughout the United States, including a build-to-suit lease for a 200,000-square-foot clean room and assembly and warehouse facility.
- Negotiated leases for high-rise offices, regional malls, shopping centers, airplane hangers, retail stores, medical offices, sports arenas, convenience stores, research and development facilities, and industrial plants.
- Represented investors in due diligence and negotiations to acquire or sell air park facilities, office buildings, outlet malls and shopping centers, restaurants, mining operations, ranches and farms, subdivisions and developed lots, hospitals, golf courses and country clubs, senior living facilities, and multifamily residential projects.
- Represented developers in municipal annexation proceedings, development agreements, reciprocal easement agreements, and the acquisition of state trust lands.
- Negotiated long-term ground leases, including leases on Indian reservations; counseled clients on enforcement of rights and remedies under ground leases, and litigated termination of long-term ground lease.
- Negotiated and restructured complex limited liability company and joint venture arrangements.
- Prepared CC&Rs, architectural guidelines, subdivision reports, sales agreements, and homeowner association articles and bylaws for luxury and planned residential communities with equestrian, golf, and other privileges.
- Represented investment funds in structuring and managing portfolios of investment grade single-family residential properties.