Gerrit Steenblik utilizes his extensive knowledge and experience to guide clients through complex real estate matters. He represents developers, investors and financial institutions in all aspects of real estate development and finance.
Prior to joining the firm, Gerrit was a partner at a Phoenix law firm where he chaired the real estate department, international law practice group, and recruiting committee. He is fluent in French and lived in French-speaking West Africa from 2001 to 2003.
- Negotiated long-term ground leases, including leases on Indian reservations, solar farm leases and residential resorts; counseled clients on enforcement of rights and remedies under ground leases; and litigated the termination of long-term ground lease.
- Supervised real estate aspects in $650 million sale of copper mine and mill as well as a long-term lease of the mine’s railroad facilities.
- Negotiated real estate aspects of $150 million sale of interests in company holding northern Arizona potash mining claims.
- Represented hospitals and other health care providers in the purchase and sale of facilities, redevelopment of hospitals and campuses and leasing of space for medical services.
- Represented buyers and sellers in various asset purchase agreements, including a private university, surgical centers, golf courses, hospitals, a private water company, mining operations, assisted living facilities and equestrian facilities.
- Represented international logistics and electronics companies in leasing and subleasing office and industrial space throughout the United States, including a build-to-suit lease for a 200,000-square-foot office/industrial facility with a clean room as well research, product assembly and warehouse facilities.
- Negotiated leases for high-rise offices, retail space at regional malls and shopping centers, airplane hangars and medical offices.
- Represented developers in the acquisition, financing, and development of Arizona resort properties, including the original golf course, clubhouse, and condo projects at the Phoenician Resort.
- Represented investors in due diligence and negotiations to buy or sell air park facilities, office buildings, outlet malls, shopping centers, restaurants, mining operations, ranches and farms, subdivisions and developed lots, hospitals and health facilities, golf courses, country clubs, senior living facilities and multifamily residential projects.
- Represented lenders in the enforcement of $41 million infrastructure development loan for major league baseball spring training facility and adjacent mixed-use parcels, in renegotiating and restructuring municipal development agreements, in restructuring construction loans (for retail shopping centers and hotels) and other loans (for mixed-use, residential, retail, and undeveloped properties), in enforcement proceedings for $100 million in loans secured by luxury senior living apartment projects (including negotiating third-party management agreements, the “short sale” of one project, and the subsequent sale and refinancing of the others).
- Represented lender in analyzing and making recommendations regarding its $800 million Arizona distressed loan portfolio.
- Prepared a lender’s a portfolio of integrated Arizona mortgage loan documents.
- Pursuant to a Bankruptcy Court 363/365 Order, negotiated the asset purchase agreement for a home builder, including its office building, model homes, and inventory of over 1,000 single-family homes, condominiums and finished lots in more than 20 different subdivisions.
- Represented developers in municipal annexation proceedings, development agreements, reciprocal easement agreements, and leasing state trust lands.
- Negotiated and restructured complex limited liability company and joint venture arrangements.
- Prepared CC&Rs, architectural guidelines, subdivision reports, sales agreements, and HOA documents for luxury and planned residential communities with equestrian, golf and other privileges.
- Represented investment funds in acquiring, managing and leasing portfolios of thousands of investment-grade single-family residential properties.