Jon Otto relishes the challenges associated with capital markets and real estate transactions. Public Finance, tax credit finance, real estate finance, and general corporate and partnership law are the areas in which Jon practices.
Jon’s public finance experience includes serving as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, issuer's counsel, and disclosure counsel in connection with a variety of public financing transactions including governmental, public power, airport and other transportation, and bonds issued for health care organizations and other non-profit organizations. He has experience with a variety of public financing structures, including taxable and tax-exempt debt issues, refundings and general and special obligation bonds. He also assists issuers in complying with continuing disclosure obligations.
A primary area of his tax credit practice includes assisting clients with transactions involving property and entity interest dispositions, including strategic sales, charitable contributions, and involuntary dispositions. Jon works with lenders, syndicators, developers, and equity investors to close transactions involving low-income housing tax credits, federal and state historic tax credits, and new market tax credits.
Jon also has experience closing multi-property and multimillion dollar loans and defeasances secured by all types of real property, including hotels, shopping centers, offices, industrial, mixed use, storage facilities, manufactured homes, apartments, and condominiums. He has experience assisting commercial lenders and commercial mortgage loan servicers in documenting, servicing, securitizing, and closing commercial real estate and asset-based lending transactions.
Prior to joining Polsinelli, Jon worked at General Electric Capital and Swiss Reinsurance as an actuarial analyst in the property and casualty loss reserving group.
- Helping a direct equity investor with more than $750 million in equity invested in more than 300 partnerships with hundreds of complex investor interest dispositions all over the country and in many different markets.
- Served as counsel to an independent community development entity in 12 new projects totaling more than $100 million in Native American communities using new market tax credit financing.
- Served as developer's counsel in the closing of an $11 million, 78-unit senior housing project using low income housing tax credit financing.
- Served as counsel in the closing of an $11 million affordable family development in central Kansas City using low income housing tax credit financing.
- Counsel to tax credit syndicator in syndication of more than $8 million in low income housing tax credits in Jackson, Miss.
- Served as borrower's counsel in a $30 million bond issuance for a 156-bed acute care hospital.