With a background in negotiating multi-million dollar global contracts, Karen Dickinson has a passion for technology and international business and quickly becomes a trusted advisor to clients of all sizes, both domestic and international. For each matter, Karen utilizes her past experience as a supply management executive at a Fortune 100 company and her own experience as an entrepreneur.
Karen acts as outside general counsel for United States companies and for companies investing in the United States from other countries. She negotiates technology transactions, from simple software licenses to complicated research and development agreements.
Karen has extensive experience advising on joint ventures and alliances, product distribution, intellectual property protection, and anti-counterfeiting strategies, as well as aspects of website development, online contracting, and privacy policies.
Her representative experience includes:
- Leading acquisition for Chinese client of majority control in NYSE listed company, including obtaining CFIUS approval
- Assisting United States clients in forming affiliates in China and Chinese clients in forming affiliates in the United States
- Developing a trade association anti-counterfeiting toolkit, including contract clauses, procedures for filing trademarks with United States customs, takedown procedures for online websites, and cease and desist letters
- Advising multi-national for-profit and non-profit organizations on United States and global data privacy strategy and legal issues
- Drafting and negotiating a distributor agreement for a United States client with an Australian company to sell access to online training services
- Drafting inter-company agreements for a multinational client based in the Netherlands with the client’s international affiliates
- Drafting and negotiating U.S. client global product distribution and sales agent agreements, and drafting and negotiating non-U.S. client U.S. product distribution and sales agent agreements, as well as advising on country distributor and sales agent protection laws
Karen is a member of the U.S. Global Leadership Coalition, the Greater Phoenix Economic Council International Leadership Committee, and the Phoenix Committee on Foreign Relations, and a former chair of the Arizona District Export Council. After graduating from law school, she clerked for Judge Mary Schroeder, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. She was a Fulbright Scholar during her career, studying European Union law at the University College London and working with a global law firm in London.