Lindsay Kessler serves clients at the intersection of healthcare regulatory and privacy/data security compliance. Prior to joining the firm, Lindsay worked with the American Medical Association, American Dental Association, and Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. This in-house experience in corporate compliance and regulatory issues serves her practice and her clients well - in fact, she spent over a year in-house secunded to the Privacy Office of a firm client, a national retail pharmacy chain.
Lindsay graduated law school with a certificate in Health Law, and she was formerly a legal extern with the Illinois Office of Health Information Technology. She now serves on Polsinelli’s Privacy & Data Security Team, leveraging her in-house and privacy experience to assist clients with a variety of healthcare regulatory compliance issues, particularly in the healthcare technology industry. Her experience in counseling clients on HIPAA, HITECH, and related federal and state privacy laws, combined with her focus in healthcare technology, allows her to provide unique insight to clients implementing or expanding data systems, utilizing mobile applications, and storing/transmitting PHI or other data via the cloud.
Lindsay has represented public, private, and non-profit companies in the health care, medical device, technology, telecommunications, banking, and retail industries in various matters, including assisting clients with:
- Drafting privacy, security and online privacy policies to comply with federal and state privacy laws
- Advising on domestic and international data privacy and security compliance
- Breach and security counseling, including audit response, risk analysis and risk management strategy, and mitigation
- Negotiating business associate agreements for covered entities, business associates and subcontractors/vendors
- Drafting privacy and confidentiality language in cloud service, data center, and software agreements
- Medical device product development and design, contract negotiations, and management of vendor relationships
- Developing contract templates, model language and internal policies to create business efficiencies