A full service construction lawyer, Ryan provides strategic advice and counsel in the structuring and negotiation of design and construction portions of complex and diverse building projects. His clients include, project owners, investors, developers, contractors, design-builders, subcontractors, material suppliers, specialty construction vendors, construction managers, owner representatives, architects, engineers, and other design professionals. He has extensive experience in the preparation, review, and analysis of numerous project agreements, including teaming agreements, memorandums of understanding, prime contracts, design professional agreements, subcontracts, requests for proposals, and other front-end contract documents. Ryan’s experience also includes providing counsel and advocacy to the construction and design industry related to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), professional and contracting licensing issues, and professional/corporate registration issues.
Ryan strives to bring a breadth of experience and clarity to his clients through every step of the building process. Ryan guides his clients through the decision making process to determine which contracting strategy will be most advantageous for their project and assists his clients to complete sophisticated projects on time and on budget. Ryan then prepares and negotiates the design, construction and other related agreements to best protect the client’s rights and provide a clear roadmap for management of the project.
Ryan’s in-depth knowledge of construction law is supplemented by and through understanding of the design and construction process which he developed over the course of his career through involvement with different sections of the construction industry. Ryan holds a Bachelors of Architecture degree, is a licensed architect and practiced as an architect for seven years prior to his legal career.
Ryan has provided transactional guidance on a wide variety of notable projects, both domestic and international, including Asia, South America and Europe. Projects in which Ryan played a significant role, from a contracts prospective, include:
- Sports facilities, including, Atlanta Falcons (Mercedes-Benz) Stadium, Basra (Iraq) Sports City, Rogers Place (Edmonton Oilers) Arena, Children’s Mercy Park (Sporting Kansas City) Soccer Stadium
- Hospital, ambulatory, medical office building and other health care related facilities
- Theaters, condominiums, and other mixed-use commercial and entertainment projects
- Railroad infrastructure
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) related projects, including, solar, wind energy, industrial, environmental, infrastructure and electric transmission
- Class A commercial office buildings, including tenant build-outs
- Airport and airport related facilities and infrastructure projects
Ryan also assists his clients with the resolving (or avoiding) of design and construction related defects and disputes. He is committed to finding efficient and practical solutions for clients by resolving disputes under difficult circumstances. With respect to construction counseling and dispute resolution, Ryan has prepared and defended claims in numerous areas, including:
- Defective workmanship
- Professional malpractice
- Architectural and engineering design issues
- Public bidding disputes
- Building code issues
- Performance and payment bond claims
- American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Title 3 claims
- Contractor default
- Mechanic’s liens
- Differing site condition issues
- Delay claims
- Other construction and design disputes