The health care industry is changing at an unprecedented rate and in fundamental ways. The industry has not seen change on this scale since the advent of the Medicaid and Medicare programs. Every segment of the health care continuum is being affected. Today’s health care providers are being asked to do more with less and to reimagine how they deliver complex care that must be fully integrated with other providers. The following are just a few examples of the critical challenges facing providers today.
- The need to develop fully integrated care models that deliver both efficiency and quality of outcomes
- The need to harness the power of electronic medical records within each setting and in coordination with other providers
- The need to secure information and data across hundreds or thousands of employees, all of whom are accessing data on the go through complex data networks
- The need to structure transactions and relationships to ensure compliance with complex civil and criminal statutes, such as Stark and the federal Anti-Kickback Statute
- The need to understand how some care is shifting away from institutional settings and into the community
- The need to be able to demonstrate quality according to the key metrics established by the federal government to ensure that reimbursement is aligned with the providers efforts and success in delivering quality care
Providers are being asked to keep pace with these changes and meet these challenges within one of the fiercest enforcement environments they have ever faced. Failure to keep up with the barrage of changing regulatory requirements can have catastrophic consequences.
Polsinelli’s highly trained attorneys work as a fully integrated practice to seamlessly partner with clients on the full gamut of issues. We consider it our business to understand the opportunities and challenges that face the industry and, more importantly, our clients’ businesses. The firm has built a team that is made up of a mix of former in-house counsel at national health care institutions, the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), and former leaders within various regulatory agencies and attorneys with advanced degrees and backgrounds in the health sciences.
In addition to our diverse experience and learning through the study of our clients’ operations, we are active in the health care industry by being involved with national organizations such as the American Hospital Association, as well as through our strong presence in Washington, D.C., which gives us intimate knowledge of the changing regulatory currents and the shifting sands of Congress.
Our commitment to the industry has resulted in mutual success for our clients and the firm, which has experienced significant growth in recent years. The American Lawyer
featured Polsinelli’s health care practice for its ability to "take advantage of the firm’s concentration of lawyers in low-overhead markets, such as Kansas City and St. Louis, to compete for price-sensitive health care work." The American Lawyer
added that the "health care practice has expanded from Washington, D.C., to Los Angeles," with industry leading clients commenting that they selected Polsinelli because "the firm was willing to work with us and be creative in terms of managing the legal spend. They worked for it and have continued to work for it."
Recognized as a leader in health care law, the firm is currently ranked as the 2018 "Law Firm of the Year" in Health Care by U.S. News & World Report
's "Best Law Firms" for the second time in four years, and in 2018 continues to hold the national Tier One ranking in Health Care Law. The practice is currently ranked by the American Health Lawyers Association as the second largest health care practice in the nation (AHLA Connections
, 2017), and is nationally ranked by Chambers USA
2017. Based on interviews with more than 300 general counsel at companies with more than $1 billion in revenue, BTI Consulting nationally recognized the practice in the top 3% for strongest client relationships in the health care industry, out of 650 top US firms (BTI Industry Power Rankings 2017
Our firm is privileged to represent and work with a variety of clients in the health care sector, including: