Highwoods Properties today unveiled the conceptual rendering of the proposed national headquarters building for Kansas City law firm Polsinelli Shughart PC. The rendering, which better embraces the legacy and the future of the Plaza, is a collaboration between Rule Joy Trammel + Rubio LLC and Kansas City-based 360 Architecture. This team created an architectural design that adds to the urban experience of a mixed-use retail, entertainment and business district first made famous in Kansas City in 1923, and conforms to the Plaza Plan.
“JC Nichols wanted the Plaza to be a thriving mix of retail, shopping, entertainment and business for the people of Kansas City to enjoy for decades,” said Glenn Stephenson, vice president of Highwoods Properties’ Kansas City Division. “We believe the architecture team has captured that spirit with a design that not only meets the criteria of the Plaza Plan, but also enhances the visitor experience on the Plaza.”
The new design:
• Leaves the historic Balcony Building fully intact
• Sets back the new building nearly 170 feet from 47th Street, an additional 100 feet from the previous rendering, in conformance with the “Bowl Concept” of the Plaza Plan, and approximately the same setback as Townsend Place
• Reduces the height of the building from eight stories of office space to seven
• Complements the existing Plaza buildings with a look that matches the Plaza’s unique and historic Spanish style
• Orients the flow of the building east/west, mimicking the existing orientation of the Neptune Apartments that now occupy the site, thus minimizing the impact to 47th Street
• Adds an aesthetically pleasing and functional art garden on a substantial portion of the upper level of the parking garage
• Does not result in the degradation of the level of traffic service at the main intersections around the building as confirmed by an independent, comprehensive traffic and parking study
• There are 6,126 available parking spaces on the Plaza, which is more parking available than the city code requires. The parking spaces allocated to Polsinelli Shughart during the weekday leaves more than enough spaces for visitors, and on weekends and evenings the law firm’s spaces will be available to the public.
• This project is not reliant on or receiving any public financing or any other governmental development incentives such as TIF. In fact, this project will be one of the first major private office developments in several years to be built in Kansas City, Missouri, without public tax dollars.
• Will provide a headquarters for Polsinelli Shughart retaining approximately 500 employees in Kansas City, Missouri, approximately 325 of which are already working at the firm’s existing Plaza office. Polsinelli Shughart will be adding 175 people to the Plaza from the firm’s downtown office
• Embraces sustainability and energy efficiency and will be built with a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
Polsinelli Shughart conducted a city-wide search to find a new headquarters to combine its downtown and Plaza offices into one building. The Kansas City offices of Polsinelli Shughart employ approximately 500 people including lawyers and staff. The Polsinelli law firm was one of the first law firms to locate on the Plaza in 1972 and the decision to embrace the Plaza for its new headquarters reaffirms its commitment to the Plaza, to Kansas City, MO, and maintains the firm’s history.
“When we began searching for new place to consolidate our headquarters, we wanted to accomplish four things,” said Polsinelli Shughart Chairman Russell Welsh. “We wanted to remain on the Plaza, where the firm has been for nearly 40 years, to have a place that complemented the Plaza and helped it remain vibrant for years to come, to be in an energy efficient building (a sustainable LEED building), and to not have to rely on public development incentives. After listening to the input from a lot of sources over the last few months, we are pleased with the latest rendering which we think accomplishes these objectives and supports and enhances the Plaza.”
To view the latest rendering, please visit www.countryclubplaza.com.
Or click here
For more information contact Public Relations Manager Heather McMichael, 816-395-0618, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Highwoods Properties
Highwoods Properties, headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina, is a publicly traded (NYSE:HIW) real estate investment trust (“REIT”) and a member of the S&P MidCap 400 Index. The Company is the largest owner and operator of suburban office properties in the Southeast and provides leasing, management, development, construction and other customer-related services for its properties and for third parties. At September 30, 2010, Highwoods owned or had an interest in 329 in-service office, industrial and retail properties encompassing approximately 32.3 million square feet and owned 580 acres of development land. The Company’s properties and development land are located in Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia. For more information about Highwoods Properties, please visit our Web site at www.highwoods.com.
About Polsinelli Shughart PC
With more than 500 attorneys, Polsinelli Shughart PC (www.polsinelli.com) is a national law firm that is a recognized leader in the areas of business law, financial services, real estate and business litigation. Serving corporate, institutional and individual clients, Polsinelli Shughart is redefining the business of law by sharing ideas, goals and outcomes with its clients. The firm builds enduring relationships by creating value beyond legal services - with passion, ingenuity and a sense of urgency. The firm has offices located in Kansas City; St. Louis; Phoenix; Chicago; Denver; Washington, D.C.; New York; Wilmington, Del.; Overland Park, Kan.; St. Joseph, Springfield, and Jefferson City, Mo.; Topeka, Kan.; and Edwardsville, Ill.