Polsinelli Shughart's complimentary 2013 Health Care Webinar Series continues with:
Medical Staff Peer Review: Overview of Legal Principles
Wednesday, April 3, 2013
The Health Care Quality Improvement Act (HCQIA) was enacted by Congress, in part, to allow hospitals to conduct effective physician peer review without the threat of civil liability for money damages, which was found to unreasonably discourage physicians from participating in effective professional peer review. The protection afforded by HCQIA is available as long as certain delineated criteria are met. This webinar will use a case study method to discuss peer review processes and best practices for conducting peer review that will satisfy the requirements of HCQIA immunity, as well as the related reporting requirements in the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB). Specifically, the following will be discussed:
* Case studies regarding the identification, investigation and resolution of issues involving clinical competence, adverse events, disruptive behavior and impaired practitioners;
* The typical peer review committee structure of a hospital Medical Staff and Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules provisions;
* HCQIA requirements for immunity from monetary damages, including the investigation and due process considerations;
* Possible state law implications in professional peer review;
* Reporting to the NPDB and related considerations;
* Impact of recent changes to the Conditions of Participation on peer review in multihospital systems.
* Ann C. McCullough, Shareholder, Polsinelli Shughart
* William L. Yocum, Shareholder, Polsinelli Shughart
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR:
Start times for this WEBINAR Event (check your time zone):
12:00 PM | CENTRAL
1:00 PM | EASTERN
11:00 AM | MOUNTAIN
10:00 AM | PACIFIC
Continuing Legal Education:
CLE for this webinar presentation - and the rest in the series - is pending in several states.
TO MAKE YOUR RESERVATION:
Click here to register for this webinar. Click on the link and follow the prompt.
Toll Free: 1.888.471.3843
Confirmation Code: 4314351
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you have any questions or need additional information, contact Lindsey Hernandez at 800.473.6014 or LHernandez@polsinelli.com.
There is NO COST for this event.
Click here to view the full invitation.