The American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) has just released its national rankings of health care attorneys and Polsinelli has now become the second largest Health Care Practice in the nation. The growth is due to ongoing seismic changes in the health care industry impacting health care providers. To meet the increased demand for strategic legal assistance, Polsinelli just added seven new attorneys nationwide bringing the number of health care attorneys and professionals to 190.
“We are very pleased with the new ranking, which is a testament to our commitment to serving our health care clients,” said Health Care Practice Chair Matthew Murer from his Chicago office. “As our clients’ needs grow, we continue to deepen our bench through this time of tremendous change.”
Specifically, increased regulatory scrutiny and a dynamic change in how health care providers are being paid has led to an increased need for legal counseling to navigate this evolving environment.
“Across the country, our clients are requesting more help,” said Murer. “The experience and skills of our most recent additions reflect the major trends in health care right now – the explosion of health care technology, the importance of data and privacy, a rapidly changing payment environment, hospital alignment and repositioning and complex health care mergers and acquisitions. We are extremely happy to have them join the team and we know that our clients will benefit from tapping into their expertise and experience.”
The new Polsinelli health care attorneys will practice nationally from Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, Phoenix and St. Louis Polsinelli offices.
The new Health Care attorneys include:
• Shareholder Bragg E. Hemme advises health care entities including hospitals, pharmacies and medical device companies on complex federal and state regulatory matters. She focuses her practice on complex reimbursement issues under Medicare, Medicaid and Medicare Advantage. Hemme brings a unique perspective having worked in-house for a large Denver medical provider in addition to her experience at prominent law firms in the Rocky Mountain region.
• Shareholder Travis F. Jackson assists with the transactional and regulatory needs of hospitals and other health care providers. He has the experience assisting clients with a variety of tax and transactional matters to satisfy business objectives while also furthering their missions. Jackson also has considerable experience with the 340 B program. Jackson hails from an Am Law 10 firm and practices in Los Angeles.
• Shareholder Jean Marie R. Pechette concentrates on the emerging areas of transformational health care information technology and data privacy and security matters, including HIPAA. Pechette has over 20 years of both transactional and litigation experience in information technology and intellectual property law, and has advised public and privately-held companies and not-for-profit organizations in a broad spectrum of industries. She has advised start-ups as well as global enterprises. Within the health care industry, she has represented and advised hospitals, health systems, pharmaceutical and medical device companies, technology companies, a consortium of medical centers and affiliated hospitals, health plans, medical claims clearinghouses, health data aggregators, analytics and content licensing companies, and private equity companies in connection with health-care related or information technology-driven M&A transactions. Pechette previously served as a general counsel in a leading healthcare information technology business of a multinational conglomerate public company and was a partner at an Am Law Global 100 firm. Pechette is part of the firm’s national Science and Technology and Health Care Practices and is based in Polsinelli’s Chicago office.
• Associate Stephen Angelette works out of his Dallas office with hospitals and health care providers to determine compliance with fraud and abuse laws including Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, HIPAA and False Claims Act. He has unique experience in working with health care providers and federal and state governments to resolve issues with these laws, as well as the licensure requirements for both individuals and health care entities.
• AssociateKenneth S. Briggs of the Phoenix office focuses his practice on helping providers make sense health care rules and regulations, including HIPAA, the Stark Law, and federal and state reimbursement requirements. His primary goal is to make sure clients can stay ahead of the complex regulations while minimizing the burdens and costs of compliance.
• Associate Kevin M. Coffey is well-versed in state and federal regulatory laws including Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, HIPAA and False Claims Act. From his Chicago office he works to ensure health care providers are staying abreast of regulatory changes.
• Associate Garrett Jackson advises healthcare clients on regulatory issues related to Stark and Anti-Kickback, HIPAA with a specialty in Security Rule implications, state and federal licensure requirements, and antitrust, and has experience with numerous aspects of the health care supply chain including GPOs, manufacturers, and the Open Payments program. Jackson brings a unique perspective having worked in management for a large St. Louis based healthcare system and will assist clients nationally from his St. Louis office.
Well-known labor attorney Mark Nelson who represents healthcare clients recently joined the firm and will practice from the Chicago office of Polsinelli.
Polsinelli has been the fastest growing law firm in America for the past six years according to The American Lawyer.* In 2014, the firm moved up to the 62nd position in The National Law Journal’s ranking of the largest U.S. based law firms. Polsinelli focuses on finding practical solutions for clients in health care, financial services, real estate, life sciences and technology, energy and business litigation matters.
Murer and the other attorneys are available to speak to the media about the current state of the health care industry.
The American Health Lawyers Association is the nation's largest, nonpartisan, 501(c)(3) educational organization devoted to legal issues in the healthcare field with more than 12,500 members.
real challenges. real answers.sm Polsinelli is a first generation Am Law 100 firm serving corporations, institutions, entrepreneurs and individuals nationally. Our attorneys successfully build enduring client relationships by providing practical legal counsel infused with business insight, and with a passion for assisting General Counsel and CEOs in achieving their objectives. Polsinelli is ranked 18th in number of U.S. partners* and has more than 720 attorneys in 18 offices. Profiled by The American Lawyer and ranked as the fastest growing U.S. law firm over a six-year period**, the firm focuses on healthcare, financial services, real estate, life sciences and technology, energy and business litigation, and has depth of experience in 100 service areas and 70 industries. The firm can be found online at www.polsinelli.com. Polsinelli PC. In California, Polsinelli LLP.
*Law360, March 2014
** The American Lawyer 2013 and 2014 reports