Employers, both large and small, face an ever-growing web of workplace regulations and potential entanglements with employees. According to the BTI Litigation Outlook 2014 report, perhaps more than 90 percent of companies may need employment litigation representation in the coming year.
To reach its conclusions, BTI Consulting Group of Wellesley, MA, conducted interviews with more than 300 general counsel from Fortune 1000 companies across 15 industries. The BTI Litigation Outlook includes a listing of law firms best suited to assist these companies and Polsinelli is listed among eleven national firms as a “standout” for its counsel in complex employment litigation matters.
Among Polsinelli’s high profile litigation engagements:
- Successfully defended several major interstate motor carriers against class action claims by truck drivers that alleged the company had improperly calculated driver compensation, violated FMCSA truth-in-leasing regulations and/or misclassified drivers as independent contractors.
- Successfully represented the Kansas City Chiefs twice in a four-month period involving discrimination suits filed by former employees against the National Football League team.
- Represented a major health care provider with its immigration needs in hiring and retaining personnel, including J waivers, through the Conrad 30 and Delta Regional Authority Programs.
- Successfully represented two U.S. Secret Service agents in the Supreme Court of the United States in a case involving the scope of civil liability of Secret Service agents protecting the U.S. President and Vice-President.
- Worked with a major employer to obtain preliminary and permanent injunctive relief against former employees who were using confidential company information and customer lists to start a competing business.
“Employment litigation and advocacy experience is definitely one of our strengths, but avoiding or minimizing the risk of litigation is also a top priority,” said W. Terrence Kilroy, chair of Polsinelli’s national Labor and Employment Practice. “We assist a broad spectrum of employers, ranging from small family owned businesses to multi-national corporations, in establishing policies, writing handbooks, resolving employee disputes, handling terminations and, of course, successfully defending against legal claims.”
Each year Polsinelli partners with the Kansas and Missouri state chambers of commerce to produce an annual Resource Manual to include employment and labor law pertinent to Kansas and Missouri employers. The manual is an easy to read, plain language manual for HR professionals, managers and business owners. The firm also sponsors a bi-annual Labor and Employment Symposium in Kansas City and St. Louis.
“With labor and employment law constantly changing, a practical and comprehensive legal reference is critical and important to update annually in Missouri and Kansas,” Kilroy said. "We are always looking to provide clients with practical legal guidance to help them make better business decisions."
The national Labor and Employment practice consists of more than three dozen attorneys in Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, Phoenix, Springfield, St. Joseph and St. Louis. Shareholder Karen Glickstein is a member of the Board of Directors for the Defense Research Institute (DRI), the largest association of defense attorneys in the country.
The American Lawyer Magazine featured Polsinelli in its June 2013 issue and recognized it as the fastest-growing law firm in America over the past five years. This year, the firm moved up to the 69th position from 78th in The National Law Journal’s ranking of the largest U.S. based law firms.
For more information contact Public Relations Manager Heather McMichael, 816-223-8780, firstname.lastname@example.org
Real Challenges. Real Answers.SM Serving corporations, institutions, entrepreneurs, and individuals, our attorneys build enduring relationships by providing legal counsel informed by business insight to help clients achieve their objectives. This commitment to understanding our clients' businesses has helped us become the fastest growing law firm in the U.S. for the past five years, according to the leading legal business and law firm publication, The American Lawyer. Our more than 680 attorneys in 17 cities work with clients nationally to address the challenges of their roles in health care, financial services, real estate, life sciences and technology, energy and business litigation. The firm can be found online at www.polsinelli.com. Polsinelli PC. In California, Polsinelli LLP.