This webinar was previously recorded on February 19, 2015. To view the webinar, click here.
Hidden Pitfalls in Claims Settlement — Top Ten Tips to Ensure Settled Claims Remain Settled
Follow two seasoned trial lawyers into the arena where claims once thought to be settled, could come unraveled. The discussion includes the top ten points to consider in developing and agreeing to a settlement agreement, such as the scope and breadth of the agreement, whether the waivers include future or even intentional acts, when counsel should get involved and other related issues.
Topics of discussion include:
- Understand your client's business before you start threatening the other side
- Beware of form releases and boilerplate provisions
- Employment claims and ethical considerations
- Pitfalls in settlement negotiations
- Limitations on use of information obtained in litigation
- Admissibility of settlement discussions — Not every state has a rule akin to FRE 408
- Tax treatment of settlement amounts
- Arbitration — when it works and when it doesn't
- Don't forget the California Rule
- Liquidated damages vs. penalties — when does a liquidated damages provision go too far?
For more information and to view the invitation, click here.