Dr. Bert Hanson provides strategic intellectual property counseling for both private and public companies and universities in the life sciences space, specifically in biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical device areas. In addition, she also works with companies in biofuels and alternative energy. Bert also provides intellectual property licensing and other transactional services to her clients. She works closely with litigation, corporate, and regulatory counsel to provide her clients with comprehensive company representation.
Bert’s practice includes offensive and defensive patent strategy development, patent prosecution, opinion preparation for both patentability and freedom-to-operate and patent due diligence for partnering deals, venture financings, and mergers and acquisitions. She provides patent counseling in support of biological and other products in all stages of development, from proof of concept to regulatory approval and product launch.
Bert has been fortunate to serve a significant number of start-up companies which has provided her with a wide range of experiences derived from formation and licensing issues, to acquisition or entering the public sector.
Bert holds a Ph.D. in molecular and cellular biology/biochemistry and prior to her legal career she practiced as a scientist for over 10 years. She leverages her experience as a former research scientist to deeply understand each client’s individual needs and tailors her legal counsel to their specific goals.
Bert has prepared and prosecuted U.S. and international patent applications in various sectors and technologies, including:
- Represented a large company in advancing patent protections around the world for advancement and clinical testing of a first vaccine against a rapidly spreading viral infection known to infect livestock and humans
- Negotiated several complex life science technology-related agreements for start-up companies
- Biotechnology, including vaccines development against infectious diseases (e.g. bacterial, fungal and viral), neglected diseases (e.g. flaviviruses and alphaviruses) and cancer
- Formulations for manufacturing and delivery of pharmaceutical agents
- Immunology-related technologies
- Treatment and prevent of inflammatory-related conditions
- Transplantation (e.g. organ, soft tissue and cellular) and GvHD
- Pharmaceuticals (e.g. chemical, small molecule and biologics) and modes of administration
- Secondary use of biological and pharmaceuticals
- Oncology and genetic disorders
- Recombinant technologies, gene editing and CRISPR technologies
- Biofuels, including alternative fuels production in microorganisms
- Agriculture, including transgenic plants and growth stimulants/additives
- Veterinary medicines/vaccines/treatments (e.g. large and small animals)
- Health supplements, nutrition substitutes and herbal medicines