Barbara Safechuck focuses her practice on protecting clients’ rights. She is an experienced litigator who has obtained verdicts for the defense in jury trials. Barbara's 20+ years as a litigator have sharpened her ability to provide clients with early identification of high risk cases and have honed her ability to craft strategies to achieve clients' objectives.
Barbara is also a skilled negotiator and mediator which enables her to achieve early cost efficient dispute resolution for clients. Barbara diligently seeks to understand the client’s business goals and works to identify practical legal solutions that assist in reaching those goals.
Barbara’s unique background as a registered nurse, has given her a deep working understanding of the health care industry. She has defended health care facilities, physicians and nurses in medical malpractice actions and has obtained winning results for her clients. Barbara’s health care experience also includes, conducting internal facility investigations, drafting organizational wide policy and procedures, advising on peer review issues, evaluating and advising on risk prevention, medical ethics, privacy and compliance issues. She has also represented pharmaceutical manufactures, medical equipment suppliers, including home health care infusion providers.
Leveraging her background as a registered nurse, Barbara is a "go to" lawyer for developing medical expert testimony and working closely with expert witnesses to develop defenses and posture cases for favorable outcome. Her health care experience also provides meaningful insight as she works on a wide range of medical and legal issues that arise in complex litigation, class actions, product liability, toxic tort matters, regulatory and administrative actions.
Barbara’s civil litigation practice also includes the representation of employers in a wide variety of employment matters, including employee discipline and best practices, workplace policy and procedures, internal investigations, discrimination and harassment claims. She has represented employers ranging from Fortune 100 companies to small family owned businesses. Barbara won a defense verdict for her Gaming Industry client in a wrongful termination jury trial, she has also defeated claims before the California Labor Commissioner and successfully defended wage and hour class action claims.
Barbara’s experience covers a variety of industries and practice areas. Notable examples include:
- Product Liability Litigation – represented a wide variety of products ranging from heavy machinery equipment to medical devices/ pharmaceuticals and toxic containing materials. Obtained a defense jury verdict on behalf of a Fortune 500 world leading manufacturer of tools and commercial equipment. Arbitrated numerous product cases which resulted in defense awards
- Health Care – represented medical facilities and physicians. Successfully obtained a defense jury verdict for a health clinic in a medical malpractice action
- Employment and Labor – provided management training and advise and counseling to assist in minimizing workplace litigation. Awarded a defense jury verdict in a wrongful termination action brought against a gaming client. Successfully defeated claims for unpaid wages and overtime in proceedings before the California Labor Commissioner
- Wage and Hour Class Action – achieved favorable mediation results which significantly reduced legal defense costs and allowed the client’s business to operate without interruption
- Toxic Tort Class Action – successfully defeated class certification brought by individuals claiming exposure to silica and other toxic dust during the tunnel drilling at a proposed site for the nation’s spent nuclear fuel