Jim Coffey is a shareholder in Polsinelli’s Boston office and a member of the Firm’s Corporate and Transactional practice. He serves as practice chair of the firm's Life Sciences Practice Group. Jim focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, frequently within the life sciences, biotech and healthcare industries. His venture capital and corporate finance experience are particularly helpful to the early stage and emerging growth companies that he represents. Many of the deals Jim works on involve the transfer and protection of valuable intellectual property assets. In those instances, Jim enjoys assisting clients in complex licensing transactions, forming strategic partnerships, negotiating IP collaboration agreements, developing joint ventures, and structuring commercially rewarding, client-friendly alliances.
Having begun his career as a creditors' rights and bankruptcy attorney (frequently representing clients in engagements involving the acquisition of distressed intellectual property assets), Jim represents buyers and sellers of assets from insolvent companies, and advises clients on insolvency law issues. Jim has served as lead counsel in many noteworthy corporate reorganizations, bankruptcies, workouts, receiverships, assignments for the benefit of creditors, distressed asset sales, and in other complex corporate restructurings.
Jim's broad industry experience includes companies in life sciences, health care, banking and financial services, energy and utilities, digital media, information technology, manufacturing, food and beverage, and consumer products. Jim is a member of the Boston Harbor Angels, a prominent angel investment group, and draws upon his extensive legal background and business experience to provide pragmatic solutions for clients.
- Served as lender’s counsel to regional bank in nationally recognized investment bank's acquisition of a Denver-based investment bank
- Represent energy holdings company in connection with oil field services acquisition strategy
- Counsel to European drug discovery company using a clinical gene signature-based human cell culture model for fast-track drug discovery to prevent and treat liver disease
- Represent innovative clinical research organization with expertise in the development of tetracycline based compounds for the treatment of oral mucositis resulting from cancer chemotherapy and radiation
- Advise US/Chinese joint venture in connection with company acquisition strategy
- General Counsel to innovative high temperature proton exchange membrane distributed energy company
- Represent start up pharmaceutical company with operations in the U.S. and France in connection with financing and strategic partnership opportunities
- Counsel to UAV software controls company
- Represent regional lender in $40 million failed hotel/condominium development project in Nantucket, MA. Project listed as “Deal of the Week” by the Wall Street Journal.
- Counsel to the largest secured creditor in connection with Chapter 11 bankruptcy of multistate faith-based assisted living facility
- Advised banking institution in high-profile receivership of WLNE, Channel 6, the Providence-based, ABC-affiliate television station
- Provided advice to life science company with research centers in the U.S. and Germany providing technology and scientific expertise for biotechnological and pharmaceutical companies. Coordinated all aspects of U.S. and European licensing and registration.
- Advised senior management in $100 million stock purchase of highly acclaimed, Mid-Atlantic telecommunications company. Negotiated stock purchase agreement, management retention agreements, and other transaction-related documents.
- In connection with a change of control transaction, represented Boston-based capital advisory group in creation of phantom stock plan for its client, a privately held placement agency with $1 billion in annual revenues
- Lead Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel to prominent venture-backed biopharmaceutical company. Company maintained research centers in the U.S. and Europe. Acquired via Section 363 sale.
- Advised national IT consulting firm headquartered in Boston regarding major equity recapitalization and buyout of existing investors
- Lead counsel to buyout group in purchase of six weekly Boston-area newspapers resulting in creation of local weekly newspaper and media conglomerate
- Counsel to renowned Massachusetts specialized treatment center
- Lead bankruptcy counsel to national women’s apparel retailer in 363 sale of $125 million business to prominent private equity group
- Principal bankruptcy counsel to national food market chain in connection with multimillion dollar claims objection proceeding