Jay is honored to have dedicated his entire legal career to representing health care clients, regularly serving in an outside general counsel role to collaborate with and support in-house colleagues. Drawing upon his Masters of Law in Health Care, Jay focuses his efforts on general health care issues and corporate transactions arising out of the representation of hospitals, physician groups, faculty practice plans, laboratories, ambulatory surgery centers, group purchasing organizations, home health, hospice, and long term care providers. Jay enjoys extensive experience providing day-to-day legal counsel to components of the academic medical center (the “AMC”) provider, including the teaching hospital, faculty practice plan, and schools of medicine to assist their day to day mission driven activities.
Jay makes the effort to understand each clients’ short and long-term business objectives, and works to anticipate the implications of changes in the law for our clients. He is known for being passionate about offering timely, responsive, and cost-effective legal advice, solutions, and real world answers. His goal is to develop mutually rewarding, long-term relationships with each client who trusts him with an assignment. Jay provides services in a wide range of legal matters including:
- Formation of shared services partnerships between providers and payors to share services in operations, population health, and clinical improvement.
- Strategic outreach and contractual management of affiliation agreements between AMCs and community hospitals, including clinically-integrated networks.
- AMC operational legal issues including accreditation, GME, and ACGME programs and compliance.
- Representation related to Joint Commission survey, accreditation, compliance, and review and appeal procedures.
- Draft and negotiate physician service line relationships, business joint ventures, and affiliation and management agreements.
- Strategic business contracts, including PSAs, medical directors, support agreements, recruitment, management, joint venture, and payor arrangements.
- Regulatory due diligence expertise with corporate transactions, including hospital affiliations, and physician hospital alignment models.
- Complex fraud and abuse counseling, including Stark, Anti-Kickback, False Claim, and Qui Tam issue resolution.
- Supply chain and group purchasing legal issues.
- Medical staff and peer review matters.
- Reimbursement including conducting internal investigations, addressing overpayment and self-disclosure issues, and defending against audits.
- Risk management, including EMTALA and defense of state and federal agency enforcement activities.