Jean Pechette is a creative yet practical thinker who partners with clients and fully engages in assisting them to achieve their matter-specific goals by first understanding their overall business strategies. Jean has over 20 years of experience in information technology, privacy and intellectual property law, with a focus on health care and life sciences industries, including serving as a division general counsel for a Fortune 50 company. She brings to clients a unique perspective to help them navigate novel and complex technology-related problems.
Jean has represented public and privately held companies in various industries such as information technology and health care, specifically:
- Health systems
- Health care providers
- Medical device manufacturers
- Electronic medical records providers
- Clinical information system providers
- Revenue cycle system providers
- Pharmaceutical companies
Jean has negotiated complex commercial transactions and structured and closed more than 200 acquisition, licensing, distribution, development and strategic alliance transactions worldwide. She has represented numerous clients in connection with:
- Software and content development
- Distribution, reseller and joint marketing agreements
- Cloud-based hosting agreements, including Infrastructure as a Service ("IaaS") and Software as a Service ("SaaS")
- Licensing and implementation of electronic health records
- Revenue cycle and claims processing solutions
- Implementation of enterprise resource planning ("ERP") systems
- Outsourcing including IT and business process outsourcing ("BPO")
- Health information exchanges
- Data mining, data analytics, data warehouses and big data
- M&A transactions involving technology assets
Jean has further provided advice and guidance on:
- Data privacy and security
- Claims processing service providers and clearinghouses
- HIPAA and other federal and state privacy laws
- Intellectual property audits, due diligence, licensing, transfer and protection, including open source licensing and compliance programs
While serving as a division general counsel at a global transformational medical technology company, she partnered with cross-functional and business development teams in evaluating potential targets, conducting due diligence, and structuring and negotiating acquisitions. She has also led integration projects on:
Key Areas of Focus
- Developing and implementing regulatory compliance policies and processes
- Privacy and security protection programs
- Review of marketing and promotional content and strategy for new product launches and new "go to market" contract templates and processes
- Product development and intellectual property protection strategies and programs for acquired entities
Jean is a practice leader of the Health Care Technology
group. The team’s far-reaching experience in the business and delivery of health care allows our firm to provide clients a broad spectrum of health care technology services, which includes the following key areas of focus:
- Health Care Technology Licensing and Negotiations: Polsinelli regularly advises clients on the acquisition, provision and implementation of health care technology, software, hardware and service solutions, including structuring and negotiating enterprise outsourcing agreements, software license and subscription agreements, development and joint development/strategic collaboration agreements and other agreements containing significant information security and health care components with a wide variety of businesses, including outsourcing and hosting companies, health care technology vendors, health care clearinghouses, and hospital and health systems. Additionally, Polsinelli advises clients on clinical and health care information systems involving electronic medical records (EMRs), electronic health records (EHRs), health information exchanges (HIEs), PACS, revenue cycle, and e-payment systems.
- Cloud Computing Services: Polsinelli counsels clients on the acquisition, provision and implementation of cloud computing services (e.g., SaaS, IaaS and PaaS solutions), including software license and subscription agreements, data center collocation and managed services agreements, and other transactions implicating cloud computing services.
- Data Security and Breaches: Polsinelli provides guidance to clients on data security compliance, information security best practices, data breach response and mitigation, including developing information security agreements, managing and investigating security breaches and loss of data, cyber-security insurance, and auditing.
- Telehealth: Polsinelli advises clients on the acquisition, provision and implementation of telehealth services and products, a cutting-edge and rapidly evolving area in the health care technology space, including with respect to reimbursement and payment issues, data privacy and security, technology development and licensing, and compliance with health care fraud and abuse laws (e.g., the Federal False Claims Act, Stark Law, and other federal anti-kickback and physician self-referral statutes and regulations).
- Big Data and Infrastructure: Polsinelli counsels clients on the acquisition, provision and implementation of health care technology solutions involving “Big Data,” data mining, data aggregation and analytics, and complex infrastructure, data center and hardware operations implementations.
- Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence: Polsinelli counsels clients on the acquisition, provision and implementation of health care technology solutions involving the internet of things, data mining, data aggregation and analytics, use of machine learning and development of predictive algorithms, and complex infrastructure, data center and hardware operations implementations.
- Privacy: Polsinelli regularly advises clients on privacy and information security compliance and best practices, including compliance with federal and state laws, regulations and guidance, and risk management.