Justin R. Watkins is a trial attorney and concentrates his practice in the areas of construction, business and commercial litigation. With the firm since 2009, Mr. Watkins brings significant courtroom and trial experience to the representation of his clients. He is experienced in all phases of litigation in both state and federal court, including discovery, pre-trial motion practice and trial practice, as well as alternative dispute resolution.
In his construction practice, Mr. Watkins has represented a broad range of clients across the construction industry, including general contractors, subcontractors, materials suppliers, design professionals, construction managers and property owners and developers in the litigation and resolution of construction industry matters, including multi-party, complex litigation. He has successfully assisted clients in the litigation and favorable resolution of mechanic's lien, defective design and workmanship, scope of work and payment issues, including both the assertion and defense of claims.
Mr. Watkins' experience also includes the representation of business clients in the litigation of real estate and contract disputes, personal injury, property damage and bad faith claims.
- Assisted a multinational structural engineering firm in achieving the favorable resolution through mediation of a multiparty construction lawsuit following years of contentious litigation involving numerous claims, counterclaims, and cross claims, including a multimillion dollar design-defect claim affecting multiple disciplines.
- Assisted co-counsel in obtaining a summary judgment on multiple claims asserted against client in multimillion dollar contract lawsuit, substantially limiting the amount in dispute and positioning the case for the eventual resolution through mediation on the eve of trial.
- Prepared and filed Mechanic’s Lien that provided security for construction manager’s claim for amounts due and owing from bankrupt property owner, and successfully litigated the lien enforcement action in state and then federal bankruptcy court to a pre-trial resolution allowing the client to obtain recovery from bank holding junior lien on the subject property.
- Prepared and filed a Mechanic’s Lien, and successfully litigated lien enforcement action against a general contractor and property owner on behalf of a construction project materials supplier to a pre-trial resolution allowing client to obtain recovery from a bank holding junior lien on the subject property.
- Prepared motions and related pleadings, allowing the client to intervene and obtain transfer to favorable federal court venue of commercial litigation lawsuit filed in an improper federal court venue.
- Through intensive discovery, document review and analysis, and legal research, positioned a case involving claims in excess of $1 million for equitable resolution at mediation for a fraction of the complaining party’s original claim.