Mike Shomo believes that a close relationship with clients and comprehensive knowledge of their business are the keys to successful legal representation. He focuses first on understanding clients’ business objectives and priorities, then works with them to formulate and implement practical, business-minded, legal solutions aligned with their objectives and priorities. Mike represents and counsels developers and owners in a broad range of sophisticated and complex real estate and related business transactions from coast to coast. His experience spans mixed-use, single- and multi-family residential, resort, retail and office projects, and includes significant urban redevelopment projects, public-private partnerships and large master-planned communities.
Mike advises clients over the entire life cycle of projects – from conceptual planning, ownership and joint venture structuring, land assemblage, design and land use entitlements, through financing, development and construction, leasing, operations and disposition. He has over 25 years of legal experience, including 7 years as in-house counsel for a large multi-family REIT. Mike was a practicing architect before turning to the law. His career-long involvement in the real estate industry enables him to see the dots and how they connect.
- Advised a large multifamily REIT, with $20 billion of assets nationwide, regarding real estate development, operations, joint ventures and financing.
- Represented a developer-member of a joint venture that developed a large mixed-use project on a prominent site in Washington, D.C., having a total investment exceeding $700 million.
- Represented a developer-member of joint ventures that developed a large mixed-use project just outside of Washington, D.C., having a total investment exceeding $250 million.
- Represented the investor member a joint venture that developed and refinanced a large mixed-use project in New York City having a total investment exceeding $300 million. Also represented the investor member in the buy-out of the developer member’s interest.
- Represented the developer of one of the first New Urbanist, mixed-use, infill redevelopment projects in the country. This project received the Urban Land Institute’s Award of Excellence.
- Represented a privately-owned, urban railroad station regarding matters relating to city transportation and redevelopment planning efforts, AMTRAK and other rail users, and the sale of the station to city for use as a multi-modal transportation hub.
- Represented a premier resort owner regarding development and operational matters relating to numerous residential, commercial and mixed-use condominiums and planned communities.
- Represented developer-owners regarding the development of retail centers, including the use of urban renewal and other public-private partnerships for supplemental project financing.
- Represented the purchaser of a downtown city block with existing office and hotel/residential towers regarding the condominiumization of the entire block in preparation for the sale of one tower and financing of the other.
- Member of the team that represented a city regarding the development of a new, a privately-financed, downtown sports arena for NBA and NHL teams and other entertainment events.