• vcard
  • Education
    • J.D., University of Tennessee College of Law, 1982
    • M.B.A., University of Tennessee, 1982
    • B.A., University of Tennessee, 1975
Ralph Killebrew is a deal guy, bringing insight and creativity to the structuring and negotiation of sophisticated business transactions. His extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and financial transactions has resulted in public and private companies seeking his advice on complex matters. During his 30 years of practice, Ralph has served public and private clients in the commercial real estate, textile, floor covering, apparel, soft drink bottling and chemical industries.

He has contributed greatly to clients’ growth opportunities through representation in Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and other real estate companies in joint venture developments, mergers and acquisitions and financial transactions.
  • In more than 120 matters, represented REITs and commercial real estate developers of shopping centers, multifamily housing, hotels, self-storage facilities, and other real estate projects in all aspects of securitized commercial mortgage-based securities (CMBS) debt financing with an aggregate transaction value in excess of $8.5 billion.
  • Represented a REIT client in four joint ventures involving the formation of the joint venture entities and development of shopping centers having an aggregate completion value in excess of $250 million.
  • Represented a REIT client in separate multi-step acquisitions of managing interests in two shopping centers for cash and through the assumption or provision of mezzanine financing which was converted into equity for an aggregate investment of approximately $60 million.
  • Represented a REIT client in two multifamily housing joint venture developments structured as ground leases with the client’s return on equity being realized through base rent and additional rent.
  • In 2012, represented a REIT client in acquiring a 49 percent interest in a limited liability company, which had ownership of a shopping center. The same client later acquired the remaining 51 percent ownership interest in 2013, following lender approval. The $121,500 acquisition was structured to provide the seller with capital gains tax treatment for both stages of the transaction at the 2012 tax rate.
  • Represented a REIT client in acquiring a controlling interest in a condominium partnership for a new retail development in Brazil. Subsequently represented the client in the divestiture of the partnership interest.
  • Represented a publicly traded client in its transformation from a textile manufacturer to a floorcovering manufacturer through the divestiture of its textile subsidiaries and assets and the acquisition of niche carpet companies.
  • Represented a publicly traded soft drink bottling company in the acquisition of over 20 subsidiaries and the divestiture of four foreign subsidiaries.