William A. Tanenbaum assists companies in technology, outsourcing, and IP transactions; the protection and business use of IP; using technology to transform health care; and AI and data and related matters. He works closely with clients to provide actionable, industry-informed solutions for their business needs.
Bill has “expertise in technology transactions that puts him at the very top of the market” and is “highly recommended for his expert counsel.” (Who's Who Legal) He is ranked in top tiers by Chambers: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and in its Global Edition, Who's Who Legal, and Best Lawyers in America in technology, outsourcing, IP, and data law. Chambers says Bill has a “solid national reputation,” is a “prominent figure in technology and outsourcing,” “understands the market and uses his expertise to help [clients] successfully navigate negotiations” and “brings extremely high integrity, a deep intellect, fearlessness and a practical, real-world mindset to every problem.”
Bill served as President of the International Technology Law Association. He was named as the “Lawyer of the Year” in IT in New York by US News & World Report and as one of the Top 30 IT lawyers in the U.S. (Best of the Best/Expert Legal Guide) Bill is recognized as one of the “leading names” in AI and a “go-to expert [on] data.” (Who's Who Legal/Global Data Review) Chambers finds that Bill has “broad strengths” in the IP and technology aspects of M&A and corporate transactions and provides “savvy, zealous representation.” He also “has strong litigation experience” with patent victories in the Federal Circuit (Who's Who Legal), and helps clients avoid litigation.
Bill is the Practice Co-Chair of the Health Care Technology & Innovation Group (the second largest in the country) and provides “comprehensive advice [on] healthcare-related IT matters.” (Who's Who Legal) He is the Contributing Editor of “International Comparative Legal Guide to Digital Health 2020.” He is a member of the firm’s National Tier 1 Technology Transactions & Data Privacy Group, as ranked by US News & World Report.
He has in-depth experience in intellectual property law. Bill is an “IP Star” (Managing IP), and one of the “IAM Strategy 300 - The World's Leading IP Strategists,” and was a partner at an international IP firm. He assists international companies doing business in the U.S. technology and IP sectors.
Bill's practice concentrates on:
- Technology transactions
- IP transactions and IP aspects of technology transactions
- X-as-a-Service and Cloud transactions
- Outsourcing agreements
- Health Care technology transactions, including Digital Health
- IP, IT and Health Care aspects of M&A transactions
- AI and Data Analytics
- Transferring innovative legal techniques implementing emerging technologies from Health Care to other industries and adapting best practices in technology agreements from other industries into Health Care
- Securing patents and other IP protection and strategic IP counseling
- Data use ownership and licensing agreements and data policies
- Representing international companies doing business in the U.S. technology and IP sectors
- Technology transactions to provide cybersecurity and privacy infrastructure
- Government and Education IT
- IP and technology litigation and arbitration