William A. Tanenbaum works closely with clients to provide actionable, industry-informed solutions to meet their business needs. Recognized as one of the Who’s Who Legal “Thought Leaders Global Elite,” Bill is also ranked in top tiers by Chambers, Legal500, Best Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal in technology, outsourcing, IP and data law. He is a member of Polsinelli’s Technology Transactions & Data Privacy Group and the Practice Co-Chair of the Health Care Technology & Innovation Group, which is ranked as the second largest practice in Health Information and Technology Law in the country by the American Health Lawyers Association.
Bill’s practice focuses on transactional work, litigation, strategic counseling and innovation in the following fields: IT, IP, Health Care, cybersecurity, outsourcing and technology services. In the emerging field of data law, he was named by Global Data Review and Who's Who Legal to "Thought Leaders in Data 2019." Health Care is an early adopter of emerging technologies, and Bill uses leading practices from that field to advantage in other industries. Chambers found that Bill has “broad strengths” in handling the IP and technology aspects of M&A and corporate transactions. He is a sought-after advisor on adopting and leveraging new technologies, such as Cloud-based services, AI, data analytics, the Industrial Internet of Things, and digital medicine. He is recognized by Who's Who Legal as a "font of knowledge for creating new IT structures" that provide the legal innovation required to use technological innovation. Chambers says that Bill provides “savvy, zealous representation” and “understands the market and uses his expertise to help [clients] successfully navigate negotiations,” including the following:
• Technology transactions, including technology development and joint collaboration agreements
• Outsourcing agreements, including IT, business process, robotic processing and knowledge process outsourcing
• Health Care technology transactions and innovation
• Transferring the leading legal IT, outsourcing and data practices driven by advances in Health Care to other industries
• Patent and IP protection, transactions and licensing
• Data protection, ownership, licensing, shared use, data management, data governance and data polices for regulatory compliance
• Data-driven business
• AI, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing and data analytics
• Cybersecurity, including risk audits of third party IT vendor agreements
• Government IT
• IT, IP and Health Care aspects of M&A and corporate transactions
• IP Litigation and technology arbitration
• Sports law technology
Clients and legal researchers endorse Bill as “a brilliant lawyer. I cannot imagine working with anyone else;” "brings extremely high integrity, a deep intellect, fearlessness and a practical, real-world mindset to every problem;” “makes excellent judgment calls;” and “is at the stage in his career where no issue is unfamiliar or too complex or intimidating to take on” (Chambers); “one of the best IP lawyers I have worked with” (Clean Tech Guide); "has expertise in technology transactions that put him at the very top of the market;" "is a font of knowledge on creating new It structures;" "has formidable expertise in cybersecurity and data licensing and is considered one of the leading names in the domestic market;” and "has strong litigation experience" (Who's Who Legal).
A lawyer for a leading consulting firm says “Bill is an exceptionally capable lawyer and thought leader and at an operational level knows how to take the friction out of [agreements] while working with consulting firms, in-house lawyers and IT teams and the vendors. He has a reputation in the industry for his collaborative approach, for identifying and focusing on the major issues to bring time and cost efficiencies to the deal, and for his knowledge of IP."