The securities industry operates in a highly regulated environment, and its legal advisors must remain abreast of changes in business and regulatory climates. We recognize the nuances singular to the securities industry and deliver advice accordingly. Polsinelli’s securities industry attorneys not only provide tailored legal perspective and representation, but also identify opportunities and risks.
Our Securities Industry practice successfully represents broker-dealers and financial advisors in FINRA arbitrations on a variety of claims, including:
- Broker movement
- Protocol for Broker Recruiting compliance
- Misappropriation of confidential customer and business information
- Repayment of forgivable loans
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Fraud involving a wide range of investment products, including collateralized mortgage obligations, non-traditional ETFs, and residential mortgage backed securities
Polsinelli was early to recognize the shift in the securities industry from the traditional broker dealer model to the independent registered investment advisor or hybrid model. We understand the RIA business model and can advise RIAs on regulatory compliance, customer issues and employment matters.
In addition, Polsinelli has significant experience advocating for broker dealers and RIAs in investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission, FINRA and state securities commissions in various types of cases, including:
- Market manipulation
- Insider trading
- Failure to supervise
- Recommendation of non-traditional ETFs to customers
- Trading away
- Failure to maintain adequate capital
- Other state and federal statutory or rule violations
As a national law firm with a broad geographic footprint, Polsinelli is well-positioned to assist companies in litigation matters which may arise in state and federal courts across the United States. We have handled matters FINRA arbitrations, SEC, FINRA and state securities commission investigations, and state and federal lawsuits in 21 states.