As Vice-Chair of Polsinelli’s Sports Industry Group, Dan focuses his practice on private equity and sports law. Representing professional leagues and teams, collegiate conferences, associations and athletic departments, retail brands and apparel companies, sports broadcast networks, private equity firms, strategic investors, and target companies, Dan’s practice focuses primarily on assisting clients through transactional matters. He successfully structures and negotiates leveraged buyouts, cross-border transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and other investments in the sports space. He also advises on corporate governance and other general corporate matters and negotiates sponsorship, media, and speaking arrangements for various head coaches, broadcasters, athletic administrators, and executives. In addition, Dan negotiates commercial transactions such as partnership, joint venture, venue-leasing, broadcast multimedia rights, and licensing agreements.
Dan stays abreast of sports industry changes through his community involvement. He is a board member of the Massachusetts Amateur Sports Foundation, Inc., which operates the Bay State Summer and Winter Games. He is also a board member of the East Greenbush Miracle League, Inc., which provides opportunities in athletics for individuals with special-needs.
- Counseled Major League Baseball, National Football League and National Basketball Association owners regarding the purchase and sale of franchise equity stakes
- Negotiated naming rights agreement for professional sports franchise and its venue
- Advised private equity client in connection with its $4+ billion bid to purchase a mixed martial arts organization
- Represented strategic buyer regarding its multi-billion bid to acquire a multi-media rights entity
- Counseled foreign investor with respect to its proposed acquisition of adventure race company
- Structured and negotiated television rights content acquisition from sports league on behalf of regional sports network
- Negotiated virtual reality licensing agreement with Fortune 500 technology on behalf of major league baseball team
- Advised Pac-12 member’s athletic department with respect to the hiring and extension of both its men's basketball and football head coaches
- Represented Division I collegiate conference with respect to its post-season men's basketball tournament
- Counseled professional sports leagues regarding strategic relationships with corporate sponsors, co-investors, franchise owners, private equity institutions, foreign entities, and broadcast partners