Lauren DeSantis-Then represents clients in government investigations, internal investigations, crisis management assistance and white-collar litigation. She has significant experience representing corporate and individual clients in parallel enforcement proceedings by multiple government entities, and in connection with congressional matters. She represents clients in a wide variety of civil and criminal matters including: False Claims Act and qui tam litigation, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, health care fraud and abuse, Anti-Kickback Statute, agency noncompliance determinations, and other complex federal and state investigations. Her experience includes representing clients before the U.S. Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Federal Trade Commission, Department of Energy, Department of Health and Human Services, Indian Health Services, the U.S. Congress, Inspector General’s offices, as well as various attorneys general and state regulatory and enforcement bodies.
Working with boards of directors, audit committees, and corporate management, Lauren has conducted numerous internal investigations, and advised on the creation and implementation of corporate compliance and ethics programs.
In addition to government investigations, she practices in the areas of government contracts and Public-Private Partnerships (P3s). She serves as outside counsel to one of the largest global defense contractors. She has experience handling complex protests of federal procurements, prime-sub disputes, government contracts due diligence, and regulatory compliance.
Lauren also has experience in the restaurant and hospitality industry representing clients with trademark enforcement, employment disputes and contractual matters.
A strong advocate for providing legal services to individuals and nonprofits that cannot afford representation, Lauren dedicates time to providing pro bono assistance. Most recently, she defended an elderly citizen against a predatory contractor.
- Represented healthcare providers defending against whistleblower suits under the False Claims Act.
- Successfully represented trade associations in litigation and regulatory proceedings before the Department of Energy and federal district and appellate courts.
- Defended chief financial officer of large national retailer in public accounting fraud prosecution.
- Representation of a specialty pharmacy company in a qui tam investigation.
- Represented client in major civil litigation matter involving the treatment protocol for Lyme disease. Awarded $1.2 million in sanctions against a large insurance company.
- Defended a non-licensed physical therapist against the Physical Therapy Board before an administrative agency.
- Successfully assisted a physicians’ trade association group with notice and comment regarding home health care services.
- Brought an action against an insurance company for excluding a physician from a provider network without cause involving clinical trials for cancer.
- Assisted physicians with state licensing and medical boards.
- Assisted hospitals with claims against Indian Health Services (IHS) for reimbursement of claims.
- Represented physicians with insurance company audits.
- Defended an individual to reduce a criminal sentence.
- Successfully represented a restaurant in the defense of an employment discrimination claim.
- Knocked out a $6 million case against a major hospital organization on summary judgment and subsequently won the appeal.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a beverage vending manufacturer facing large fines from the Department of Energy.
- Successfully defending bid protests at the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) contesting pre-award solicitations that were not properly set aside for Small Business Concerns.
- Conducted an internal investigation regarding a whistleblower complaint for a large foreign based entity.