Shelton Austin assists clients in all aspects of Intellectual Property law, with a focus on strategic patent portfolio development and analysis, as well as conducting IP due diligence.
A registered patent attorney and former patent examiner, Shelton approaches patent law from a unique perspective. Working to understand each client’s needs, he prepares and prosecutes patent applications for a variety of legal matters, including:
• Multimedia Related Technologies, including Video Coding, Image Analysis and Processing, Video Surveillance Systems, among others
• Computer Vision
• Camera Related Technologies
• Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and Mixed Reality (MR)
• Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)
• Wireless Communications and Telecommunications Systems, including 3GPP, 802.x wireless networks, among others.
• Computer-Generated Imagery (CGI) Animation
• Internet of Things (IoT)
• Network Security
• Medical Devices
Shelton has also worked on many IP due diligence projects, providing thorough analysis of intellectual property assets for asset purchases and company acquisitions. The subject matter of such projects ranges from networking and telecommunications technologies to medical device technologies.
Shelton has many years of Intellectual Property experience. Prior to joining Polsinelli, Shelton was a senior associate at an international Intellectual Property law firm. During law school, he worked as a patent agent for a national Intellectual Property law firm in San Diego. Shelton also served as a law clerk at the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California for Extern to the Honorable Marilyn L. Huff. Before attending law school, Shelton worked as a patent examiner with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office.