Sylvia Kornegay advocates on behalf of companies and national trade associations before Congress and the Administration and specializes in health care, tax, and consumer protection issues. She has spent over a decade critically analyzing political and legislative proposals, educating clients across diverse industries about federal policymaking, and developing solutions to address statutory and regulatory client priorities.
Sylvia has represented a range of sectors within the health care industry, including medical device, pharmaceutical, and clinical laboratory companies. She is dedicated to learning each client’s business in order to thoughtfully identify goals and strategies and effectively achieve objectives. Sylvia has worked with national and multinational health care companies on the following:
- Drug pricing
- Medicare payment systems
- CMS and FDA rulemaking
- Tax and international trade issues
- Direct-to-consumer drug advertising
In addition to her health care experience, Sylvia guided businesses through the most recent multi-year effort to reform our federal tax code and secured a major victory for clients in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. Recognizing the value of clear and concise messaging, Sylvia translated complex tax policy into terms that were appropriate for both Capitol Hill and C-suite audiences.
Sylvia’s portfolio also includes:
- Consumer protection and product liability matters before the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and navigating clients through the Consumer Product Safety Act (CPSA);
- Strong background in financial services policy and topics affecting community lenders. During her time on Capitol Hill, she developed legislation that was signed into law to reform SIPC (Securities Investor Protection Corporation);
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the budget and appropriations processes.
Prior to joining Polsinelli, Sylvia served as staff in the U.S. House of Representatives for Rep. Michael Arcuri (NY), a Member of the House Rules Committee, and Rep. Joseph Crowley (NY).