Barry Alexander provides strategic legal advice to a wide range of health care providers, specialty pharmaceutical and medical device companies, and private equity investors on the complex legal and regulatory environment surrounding the health care industry and the implications to business operations and success in a dynamically changing health care market.
Whether an acquisition or sale, establishing clinically integrated networks, negotiating complex agreements and joint ventures with health care systems and strategic partners, addressing governance, regulatory or compliance matters, government investigations and audits or complex Medicare coverage and payment issues before the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, clients rely on Barry for strategic and practical legal counsel.
Barry brings nearly 25 years of experience working in the health care industry and as a legal advisor in the following areas:
- Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement and compliance issues, including focused reimbursement and compliance issues with the Medicare program
- Strategic guidance to a wide range of regional and national health care providers and specialized medical device companies on a broad range of issues including compliance with federal and state fraud and abuse laws, state corporate practice of medicine guidelines and federal and state licensure, conditions of participation, accreditation and enrollment requirements
- Transactional guidance and complex regulatory diligence associated with mergers and acquisitions of specialized health care providers and health care management companies
- Policy guidance and assistance before the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and state Medicaid programs involving coverage, coding and payment issues
- Resolution of Medicare Secondary Payor issues in connection with device recalls and mass tort matters
- Litigation strategies for defending and responding to a wide range of government investigations from Federal Civil False Claims Act matters to Medicare contractor audits and investigations
- Managed care contracting including the development of risk bearing networks, independent practice associations and accountable care organizations.
Barry thrives on helping clients navigate the heavily regulated healthcare industry to achieve their business goals and in developing practical legal strategies to complex problems. He is a frequent lecturer on Medicare reimbursement matters, an author of numerous publications, and currently a Board Member of the American Health Lawyer’s Association.